What about health insurance?

Once you get enrolled at the University of Cologne, it will be possible to take out a German national health insurance. However it takes usually some time before all formalities are accomplished and you are registered with an insurance company. Therefore it is advisable to purchase a travel insurance for the first month in your home country before you enter Germany.

Insured citizens of the EU countries or countries that signed a national health agreement with Germany (aks at your local authorities) can bring a prove of insurance to be presented at the German authorities, such as European Card. Commonly it is valid for up to 2 months, therefore taking out a German health insurance will be necessary after that period. 

On January 1st 2006 a European Health Insurance Card was introduced for all members of the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, Island and Switzerland. The local authorities provide further information about the adequate form.